curious and curiouser. chasing rabbits. daydream believer. royal romance. fractured fashion

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Zaha Hadid.

I was introduced to an amazing artist/architect the other day and once I saw her work I wondered why I had never come across it before, it is so inspiring, futuristic and bold, everything I love in an artwork. The artist I am talking about is Zaha Hadid, once I was told about her I immediately started researching and collected some books from the library which are truly amazing.

Her work has been described in 'Digital Hadid - Landscapes in Motion' by Patrik Schumacher, as being arhitectural avant-garde. How extraordinary this sounds. Her work is architectural, dynamic. futuristic and very conceptual. The drawings have an air of distortion about them, they are drawings of the possible and the impossible, the real and the fantasy and the use of geometric figures and sporadic line makes for a very good concept to work with, especially when considering the drape technique and building structured, sculptural forms on the body.


When I look at the artworks I see futuristic, computer inspired drawings but once I look closer and I take in everything about the picture I can see further into it. The drawings appear mysterious, they have a feeling of fantasy and distortion about them, a certain unknown quality that may make us uncomfortable but these drawings are just waiting to be explored, they are waiting to be discovered and disected and pulled apart to reveal the beauty in the line work and the quality of the well thought out angles and the idea of perception. I feel that once I keep looking at these pictures I find myself wondering where they go once the frame stops, I find myself wanting them to continue out across the page which is where my own design practice comes into play. I am going to use the futuristic images from Zaha Hadid and adapt them to structure shapes and moulds within my collection, I am in a sense going to push the drawings off the page and onto my garments.


'Digital Hadid: Landscapes in Motion' - Patrik Schumacher. 2004 Birkhauser - Publishers for Architecture, Switzerland.
Picture Source: www.zaha-hadid.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment