curious and curiouser. chasing rabbits. daydream believer. royal romance. fractured fashion

Friday, April 9, 2010

rad about rad.




When I think about a mentor it is really hard for me to come up with just one inspiring person. It is also hard for me to come up with only ten as there are so many people in and out of the fashion industry that are mentors in my work. I cam across Rad Hourani a few years ago and when I first noticed his work I was insanely jealous. All I could think was - I wish I could design like this. His designs have such an effortless simplicity about them yet they are so detailed with embellishments and love. When I think about the designer I want to be when I leave uni or even while I am at uni, I think of Rad Hourani, among many others. His use of industrial materials and all black colour palette is so dark yet to me it doesn't feel gothic, it feels right. His latest collection for Fall 2010 Ready to Wear was inspired by a similar concept to mine this year, the idea of transformation and layering. He uses zippers in a really interesting way, not only to pursue his idea of transformation but also as an interesting aesthetic. I am looking at using really heavy industrial metal zippers as embellishments, edge finishes and closures within my collection this year.
I feel my design style is a lot like Rad Hourani's, although I am not designing a unisex collection, I would be inspired to do so in the future or atleast to apply the ideas of menswear into a womenswear collection. But for now I need to focus on one thing at a time...the joy of being a designer, so many ideas and so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment