curious and curiouser. chasing rabbits. daydream believer. royal romance. fractured fashion

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Art of Vanity.


As I turn the page on a new month, the picture on my calendar jumps out at me. Simplistic, futuristic, desirable and strong, all the elements I am looking for when designing my fourth year collection. This shoe is admirable, it is classic and hard to take your eyes off. Suddenly, at such an early point in the day I am inspired and mesmerised. I am inspired by the wierd, the wonderful, the quirky yet it has to have a simplistic edge to it and this shoe by Rene van den Berg is all of this and more.

Who would've thought a simple shoe would have the power to inspire. It is a nice thing to open a new page on your calendar and instead of feeling dread about the coming month and the year passing so fast, you feel inspired and happy to be in this world surrounded by such beautiful pieces of design.

Exploring proportion, distortion and fantasy is one of my main aims this year and as journalist Suzanne Slesin stated - "Shoes, like buildings, have a mysterious chemistry of proportion."
......and she is right. We take shoes for granted, using them as protection for out feet, as something we put on to go to work or play. I think it is time we looked at shoes as an art work, an inspiring object that has the ability to transport us to another world.

Shoe Designer: Rene van den Berg - 'Art of Vanity' Covered Platform Bootie.
Image: http://www.virtualshoemuseum.com/vsm/o.php?id=950&col=person&sub=14

No comments:

Post a Comment